You might get bored of the beach when staying long term in Bali, although that’s highly impossible. But if you do, then Bali also has another underrated natural vacation spot: its rivers! That’s right, Bali also has rivers in which you can have fun and enjoy the beautiful Balinese countryside. Here is a refreshing guide to rivers in Bali to cure your boredom of saltwater.
Rivers in Bali
Firstly, let’s see the rivers themselves. Bali has a lot of mountains, and as such many rivers flow through Bali. We’ve listed some of the rivers with their own uniqueness and what kind of activities you can do there. Let’s check them out!
1. Ayung River
One of the longest rivers in Bali, Ayung flows from Kintamani area to Sanur. Its rivers provided ample irrigation for paddy fields and other agricultural endeavours engaged by the locals. As such, you can definitely see these green and lush wonders by yourself while being near Ayung River. However, a more popular activity to enjoy Ayung River is white river rafting. This is also the case for the two other rivers. Check below for possible rafting services for rafting in Ayung River.
2. Sungi River
Sungi river flows from Tabanan regency to Badung regency. This place is unique due to its interesting history, as it flows through the historical site of Mengwi. A long time ago, this place was the standing ground of the Kingdom of Mengwi, with its kings deciding the river to be the kingdom’s source of life. Furthermore, they also built structures in and around the river like many ancient civilizations.
3. Telaga Waja River
Telaga waja river is a small river that flows from Gunung Abang/Mt. Abang to its mouth in Klungkung regency. This place is also known for its white river rafting among other things, and has one of the longest rafting courses in Bali with distance reaching 16 km.
4. Beji Guwang
While more of a branching of one of the main rivers, This place is for you who likes to gaze upon natural beauties, taking pictures, and simply enjoy a nice stroll. Beji Guwang is a canyon located in Gianyar regency with its main selling point being ornate canyon walls with intricate, yet naturally made carvings.
5. Yeh Penet River
This is a river for those who like something a bit more slow-paced and less sporty. One activity that you can do here is river tubing or river boarding.
6. Pakerisan River
Last but not least there is also the Pakerisan river. This river is well-known for being located near many prehistoric sites. You can also enjoy slow-paced river activities here, such as river tubing and river boarding.
What To Do?
Now that you know about the rivers that flow in Bali, how about we start thinking about what to do there? As we have said before, Bali’s rivers are awesome when it comes to rafting and other river activities. Here are some ideas to get you started for planning a fun time!
1. Historical tours or sightseeing (Sungi, Pakerisan)
For one, there are many ancient Balinese sites located around the rivers. There are many temples and museums that you can visit and marvel at fascinating Balinese arts and culture. One such example is the Ogoh-Ogoh Museum in Mengwi passed by the Sungi River.
As we’ve said before, rivers like Ayung, Telaga Waja, and Sungi are great for rafting. You can also choose the distance of your rafting, as some rafting can go as far as the rivermouth. Other than that, those who provide these recreational services usually also provide other accommodations and activities.
Rafting Services in Bali
Here is an example of what you should expect when it comes to rafting services in Bali.
1. Caldera/Sobek Bali Rafting (Ayung & Telaga Waja)
Price and Accommodation:
- About 1110k IDR per person (adult) with facilities including hotel pickup service, towels and showers, lockers/storage places guarded by guides for you to keep your things, insurance, rafting guides, international food lunch buffet, and safety equipment. This package is called ‘Sobek Classic’ and is applied for both Ayung and Telaga Waja River. The time for rafting will last at least 2 hours or more
- Family and child options are also available.
- For KITAS holders/domestic visitors, prices can go as low as 350k IDR. If you want a cheaper option, there is also a 700k IDR per person option with no hotel pickup, towel/hot showers, and lunch buffet.
- For Nusa Dua, Jimbaran, and Kuta the pick-up time is 07.45-08.15 AM.
- For Sanur and Ubud, the pick-up time is 08.15-08.45 AM.
Bali Rafting Tours (Ayung, Telaga Waja, Melangit)
Price and accommodation:
- 500k IDR for one adult (with a minimum of 2 persons per booking). Hotel pickup and dropoff, welcome drink on arrival, towels and showers, lockers/storage places guarded by guides for you to keep your things, insurance, rafting guides, lunch buffet and mineral water, and safety equipment. The time for rafting at least will last 2 hours or more
- Child and Group prices are also available.
- For Nusa Dua, Jimbaran, Kuta, Seminyak, Legian, and Canggu the pick up time is 08.00-08.15 AM in the morning and 12.00-12.15 AM in the afternoon.
- For Sanur, the pick up time is 08.30-08.45 AM in the morning and 12.30-12.45 AM in the afternoon.
- For Ubud, the pick up time is 09.00-09.15 AM in the morning and 13.00-13.15 PM in the afternoon.
River Tubing (Ayung, Yeh Penet, Pakerisan)
Price and accommodation:
- Around 710k IDR per person (online rate) with a minimum of two-person per booking. This includes hotel pickup service, safety equipment, instructors, insurance, lunch buffet, towel, shower, and changing room. The tubing journey is up to 3 hours.
- In Bali tubing tour’s case, they provide pickup services from locations in Sanur, Nusa Dua Canggu, Jimbaran, Kuta, Ubud, and Seminyak. Other areas are also available through additional cost.
- For Nusa Dua and Jimbaran the pick up time is 07.45-08.15 AM in the morning and 10.30-10.45 in the afternoon. For Kuta and Seminyak, the pick up time is 08.00-08.30 AM in the morning and 11.00-11.15 AM in the afternoon.
- For Sanur, the pick-up time is 08.30-08.45 AM in the morning and 11.30-11.45 AM in the afternoon.
- For Ubud, the pick-up time is 08.45-09.00 AM in the morning and 11.45-12.00 PM in the afternoon.
And that’s it! We hope you find this guide to rivers in Bali to be helpful! Be sure to catch us up on your experience there! Thanks for reading.
You can also try a new experience of living in accommodation with Flokq! Flokq offers new comfortable accommodation with the co-living concept that you can rent during your stay.CLICK HERE TO FIND COLIVING OPTIONS IN BALI