Neighbourhood Guide: Karawaci
Karawaci, a district of Tangerang is one of the growing areas there. A long time ago, the district is known to be surrounded by swamps and the home to the Chinese Ethnic and so the area is given the name Karawaci (kampung Rawa Cina). The area is still developing into an urban area with malls and residents starting to get crowded, like its neighbors in South Tangerang and West Jakarta.
Walk through the street markets and things to do in Tangerang.
Being next to Periuk, Cibodas, South Tangerang, and Neglasari, Karawaci has 16 sub-districts. The most famous place in Karawaci is its mall called Supermal Karawaci, the area surrounding the mall has been one of the areas that have shown significant growth. If you’re wondering what Karawaci has to offer, the things to do, places to visit, and places to eat, then here’s a guide for you through the neighborhood of Karawaci.
Malls in Karawaci aren’t many, but they are simple and you could find what you need in these malls, or just to kill some time and hang out with your friends, so here are some of the malls in Karawaci that you must visit :
- Supermal Karawaci (Lippo Karawaci), one of the biggest malls in Karawaci. Komplek Lippo Karawaci 1200 Jl. 105, Jl. Boulevard Diponegoro, Bencongan, Kec. Klp. Dua, Tangerang, Banten 15810
- Matahari Supermall Karawaci, get your simple and basic needs in this supermall. Jl. Boulevard Palem Raya No.7, Bencongan, Kec. Klp. Dua, Tangerang, Banten 15810
- City Mall, one of the biggest malls in the heart of Karawaci. RT.001/RW.004, Bugel, Karawaci Sub-District, Tangerang City, Banten 15113
Night Clubs and Bars
There isn’t much in the nightlife of Karawaci, it isn’t as wild and busy as South Jakarta or South Tangerang. The majority of the nightlife is packed with simple bars that are fit for relaxing after a long day, here are some of the bars in Karawaci that you could find :
- Dimsum Inc, enjoy a meal with alcohol with your friends and family. Lippo Vilage Karawaci, Benton Junction Unit 19 & 20, JL Boulevard Palem Raya, No. 38, Pondok Kacang
- House of Bintang Spirit, hang out in one of the bars in Karawaci with your friends. Benton Junction, Jl. Boulevard Palem Raya, Karawaci
Since Karawaci has many universities, coffee shops have grown very fast to balance the needs of the youth. Coffee shops in Karawaci vary to indoor and outdoor interiors, perfect for hanging out with friends while serving your daily dose of coffee. So here are some coffee shops you want to visit in Karawaci :
- Asymmetric Games & Coffee, enjoy a cup of coffee while playing some games in a simple shophouse. Ruko Villa Permata, Jl. Permata Elok No.9, Binong, Curug, Tangerang, Banten 15810
- Sajiva Coffee and Ceramics, enjoy coffee brews in ceramic sets. The Excelis Ruko Pinangsia Blok E No.21, Jalan Imam Bonjol, Karawaci, RT.001/RW.009, Panunggangan Bar., Kec. Cibodas, Kota Tangerang, Banten 15115
- Coffeehood, modern coffee shop that sells manual to milk-based coffee. Jl. Imam Bonjol No.100A, RT.002/RW.001, Karawaci, Kec. Karawaci, Kota Tangerang, Banten 15115
- Kedai Seruput, a simple yet comfortable place to hang out and drink coffee. Jl. Asalam No.26, RT.005/RW.002, Gerendeng, Kec. Karawaci, Kota Tangerang, Banten 15113
- Coffee Rider, enjoy the classic interior and specialty coffee in Karawaci. Jl. Raya Merdeka No.163, RT.002/RW.001, Cimone, Kec. Karawaci, Kota Tangerang, Banten 15114
If you’re hungry and want to find something to eat in Karawaci, don’t worry! Karawaci has some fine and delicious restaurants you ought to try! Some are even located in the Supermal Karawaci! Here are some of those restaurants :
- Warunk MIXMAXX, classic restaurants that sell simple Indonesian food.Jl. Oto Iskandardinata No.22, RT.001/RW.011, Gerendeng, Kec. Karawaci, Kota Tangerang, Banten 15113
- Myeong Ga Myeon Ok Korean Restaurant, one of the restaurants that sell authentic Korean dishes. Karawaci Office Park, Ruko Pinangsia, Blok G6 No. 7, Jl. MH Thamrin, Cibodas, Tangerang
- Quiznos Sub, a restaurant that sells delicious kebabs and sandwiches. Supermal Karawaci, Lantai Upper Ground, Jl. Boulevard Diponegoro No. 105, Karawaci, Tangerang.
- Taal, an Indian restaurant in the heart of Karawaci. Jl Boulevard Palem Raya No 16 Karawaci Tangerang, Klp. Dua, Kec. Klp. Dua, Tangerang, Banten 15115
The attractions in Karawaci aren’t many, they are mainly an outdoor urban facilitated area for you to enjoy, the areas are shady and relaxing mainly fit to do outdoor sports :
- Bendungan Pasar Baru Irigasi Cisadane, enjoy the wonderful peaceful view of a dam. Jl. BSD Raya Utama, Pagedangan, Kec. Pagedangan, Tangerang, Banten 15339
- Taman Dayung, enjoy the sunset while strolling in the city garden. RT.002/RW.012, Gerendeng, Karawaci Sub-District, Tangerang City, Banten 15113
- Taman Ekspresi, enjoy the natural city park. Jl. Pandan Raya, RT.001/RW.012, Nusa Jaya, Kec. Karawaci, Kota Tangerang, Banten 15138
Public transportations in Karawaci isn’t as diverse as Jakarta, people here either have their own vehicles, use online ojek services. But, if you’re wanting to go here by public transportations, here are some of the services you could find in Bintaro :
- Cars: There are some taxis in Karawaci, but you can’t find them everywhere nor could you find one of the taxi pools, you’d have to call the taxi agency. Instead, Karawaci has many angkots for you to travel around with.
- Bus: There is a shuttle bus at Lippo Karawaci that connects with other malls in Jakarta such as Fx Mall. If you want to go with TransJakarta, you could get on the bus with the route Bundaran Senayan – Poris Plawad and get off at Lippo Karawaci.
- Train: The commute line has its own route to Serpong, Tangerang (Green Line). Going to Karawaci, you could get on the train at Tangerang Station.
So, there you have a guide to Karawaci. We hope you have fun traveling around Karawaci with this list of recommended places! Don’t forget to check other recommended places in other cities!