Palmerah is one of the areas located in West Jakarta. The name Palmerah is well-known for its traditional market called Pasar Palmerah. It sells fruit and vegetables at affordable prices and quite becoming attractive for residents who live in that area. Another popular thing about Palmerah is, it becomes the location for the newspaper’s publishing company to take place which is Kompas Gramedia. It is strategic and you can find a lot of culinary centers such as restaurants, governmental places, shopping centers, Jakarta Design Center, and MPR/DPR building.
The name of Palmerah comes from the word “pal” meaning border or batas (in Bahasa) in red (Merah in Bahasa) color. In the past, that red statue acts as the borderline between the Bogor area and the Jakarta area. If the governor of Bandung comes to Bogor He will surely pass that area. The Subdistrict is roughly bounded by Jakarta-Merak Tollway to the north, Batusari – Rawa Belong Road to the west, Palmerah Barat – Palmerah Utara Road to the south, and Aipda K. Sasuit Tubun Road – Western Flood Canal to the east. Jalan Letnan Jenderal S Parman and Jakarta Inner Ring Road Tollway, one of Jakarta’s main arteries, crosses the center of Palmerah Subdistrict.
Nowadays, Palmerah has grown as a quiet business district, residential area, and a lot of public places. If you happen to decide to live around this area you will find a lot of ways to live such as a co-living apartment, rent a house, or even living in a kos.
People also read: Best Kos-kosan in Palmerah
Palmerah doesn’t have many malls but the malls are big enough here to fit all your needs, here are some of the malls you might want to visit in Palmerah:
- Central Park, one of the biggest malls in the area. Jl. Letjen S. Parman No.28, RW.6, Tj. Duren Sel., Kec. Grogol petamburan, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11470
- Mal Taman Anggrek, One of the malls with ice skating that you can try. Jl. Letjen S. Parman No.Kav. 21, RT.12/RW.1, Tomang, Kec. Grogol petamburan, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11440
- Plaza Slipi Jaya, a simple yet fulfilling country mall. Jl. Letjen S. Parman, RT.14/RW.1, Kemanggisan, Kec. Palmerah, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11480
Night Clubs and Bars
Palmerah does not have a bar or nightclub specifically, but you can still find bars and nightclubs in several hotels in the Palmerah area. Here’s a list of some of them in Palmerah:
- Harmony Lobby Lounge, Santika Premiere Jakarta. Jl. AIPDA K.S. Tubun No. 7, Palmerah, Jakarta Barat, Jakarta, Indonesia, 11410
- Jali-Jali Lounge and Bar, Santika Premiere Jakarta. Jl. AIPDA K.S. Tubun No. 7, Palmerah, Jakarta Barat, Jakarta, Indonesia, 11410
- Rumpi Lounge, Menara Peninsula. Jl. Let. Jend. S. Parman Kav. 78, Palmerah, Jakarta Barat, Jakarta, Indonesia, 11410
Hangouts with friends? Coffee shops in Palmerah are the way to go. Palmerah has many coffee shops serving quality beans with nice places to hang out with friends, here are some coffee shops you must visit in Palmerah:
- Fore Coffee, serves standard coffee with light coffee flavor. Jl. Tentara Pelajar, Palmerah, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11430
- Collita Cafe, serves good coffee and baked-goods with fair price. Jl. Palmerah Barat No.41, RT.1/RW.2, Gelora, Kecamatan Tanah Abang, Kota Jakarta Pusat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 10270
- The Cortado, enjoy coffee in its comfortable unique interior place. Jl. Keluarga No.36, RT.6/RW.12, Palmerah, Kec. Palmerah, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11480
- Road Coffee, enjoy the coffee with a live music. Jl. Palmerah Barat No.32 1 10, RT.1/RW.10, Palmerah, Kec. Palmerah, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11480
- Coteca, a cozy place, the ambience is good. The coffee is also good. Jl. Rawa Belong No. 2, Palmerah, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11430
With a variety of taste and forms, from street foods to restaurants, Palmerah will give you the best service for your tummy, here’s a list of those restaurants you must try in Palmerah:
- Mlinjo Cafe & Resto, serving authentic Javanese food (Pekalongan) with good taste. Jl. Kemuning No.50, RT.10 / RW.1, Jati Pulo, Kec. Palmerah, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11430
- Barapi Meat & Grill, one of the favorite steakhouses serving premium high-quality steaks. Jl. Rawa Belong No. 3, Palmerah, Jakarta 11560
- Ciz n’ Chic, Enjoy a variety of processed western and oriental chicken menus, and drinks at economical prices. Jl. U No. 33, Palmerah, Jakarta.
- Waroeng Western, serves an interesting menu of Asian dishes. Jl. K.H Syahdan, Palmerah, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11430
People also read 24-hours Eateries in West Jakarta
Public transportations in Palmerah is strategic and diverse like any area in West Jakarta. Sometimes, people here also use their vehicles or use online ojek services, but to avoid traffic, people usually just go in public transportations. Here are some public transportations you could find in Palmerah:
Car: There are taxis in Palmerah, although you can’t find them everywhere, you can find one of the taxi pools on Jl. Kemandoran II No.26 KEL, RT.12 / RW.3, Grogol Utara, Kec. Kby. Lama, City of South Jakarta, Special Capital Region of Jakarta 12210. Currently, Palmerah rarely or even no angkot routes are operating. Another option besides using a taxi, you can use online transportation such as go-jek or grab to travel in Palmerah.
Bus: TransJakarta is everywhere in Palmerah, some of the terminals are Halte Stasiun Palmerah, Halte Slipi Petamburan, Halte Harapan Kita, Halte Kelapa Dua Sasak, Halte Kebon Jeruk and much more!
Train: The train stations of the commute line in Palmerah are quite strategic, you could easily have access to go to these stations such as Stasiun Palmerah dan Tanah Abang.
So, there you have a neighborhood guide through Palmerah. We hope you have fun traveling around Palmerah with this list of recommended places! Have fun and don’t forget to check other articles on our blog !